• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    jill890

Don’t forget, fish oil not only does great things for your health, but you can also deduct the cost from your Health Savings Account So save your receipt!

Is it better to just eat fish a few times a week, or to take fish oil daily?

wapf fan

Fish a couple of times a week is good but you get more vit A and D in cod liver oil than you would by just eating the whole fish. Modern day people do not get enough A and D so cod liver oil is very important. It used to be a very common supplement. So the answer is you need both (cod liver oil daily). I can give brand recommendations if you like. Some are not good so stay away from those.

wondering

How about eat fish a few times a week and take fish oil on the off days.

Dont replace real food with a pill.

@shan_e_wilson 2633 wrote:

Is it better to just eat fish a few times a week, or to take fish oil daily?

wapf fan

Because our food is not what it was 100 years ago and beyond. We are behind the curve. But even back then people took cod liver oil. They knew it was special and it still is today. It is considered a whole food and supplies much needed vitamins A and D. Our ancestors got about 10 times the amount of A and D as we do today. Maybe one of the many reasons we are so sick today?

wapf fan

I forgot to add this: cod liver oil is preferable to fish oils, which do not provide fat-soluble vitamins, can cause an overdose of unsaturated fatty acids and usually come from farmed fish.

My Carlsons Super Omega contains 600mgs of Omega -3 Fatty Acids EPA 300 DHA 200 and other Omega3’s 100mgs in one gel cap. The fish body oil is from deep cold water fish. I take two a day. How is Cod Liver Oil superior to this? And how does regular fish oil cause an overdose of unsaturated fatty acids? Compared to Cod Liver Oil.

wapf fan

This information is from the Weston A Price Foundation website:
    “First, our bodies can obviously handle a range of omega-6 to omega-3 ratios—if our body chemistry could only function at a precise ratio, the human race would have died out long ago. What we have learned from research on EFAs is that it is not good to have an extreme imbalance. The modern diet, in which omega-6 fatty acids predominate at a ratio of 20 to 1—with most of these omega-6 fatty acids rendered rancid by processing—creates serious imbalances on the cellular level; likewise, overdosing on flax oil or fish oil creates an imbalance in which omega-3s predominate, leading to lowered immunity.
    We do not recommend any of the fish oils. We recommend certain brands of cod liver oil to get vitamins A and D. You will also get EPA and DHA–both necessary for brain development. However, you can get too much EPA and DHA by taking fish oils.

The other key factor is saturated fat–the more saturated fat you eat, the less omega-3 of any type you need because with saturated fat, the body conserves them. Plus, people can get too much DHA and EPA if they are taking fish oils.”

That is what I meant by overdosing on unsaturated fatty acids. That is what the fish oils contain.

And as a reminder-cod liver oil is the richest source of vit D and A. Well besides sunlight for D but then you still need your A. And the other important one is vitamin K which you can get from butter from grass-fed cows. You should put butter on anything you can think of!

And again: cod liver oil (certain brands) is a whole food because it still contains the vitamins it came with. Fish oil is not a whole food, the vitamins are gone. And we really only want whole foods in our diets.

peterson

help reduce the risk of heart attack. Fish oil also helps to prevent dangerous abnormal heart rhythms that can cause sudden cardiac death.Fish oil is also effective in reducing the symptoms and pain of arthritis. Morning stiffness and joint tenderness.Fish oil also aids in weight loss process.

Houston1970

Aha now know why Testosterone dropped I was taking 9grams of Fish oil per day as adjunct to valproic acid

JanSz

I noted that variety of ways of supporting EPA/DHA works rather well.
    That is confirmed by Fatty Acids Analysis that I am doing from time to time.

Lacking is GLA that is I heard on many radio discussions but not to often discussed on bulletin boards.

There is at least two GLA supplemnts that I look at, not sure which one would be preferable

borage oil
    Primrose Oil

Borage oil is mutiple times less expensive.
    Which one is healthier and why?

Examples:
    NOW® Super Primrose Oil 1300mg 120 sgels (GLA)
    Borage Oil 1050mg, 240mg GLA, 120 Softgels, NOW Foods

DrMariano2
    Participant

Here is a good explanation from the oil man himself:

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/epo_expanded.htm

EXPANDED VERSION: Evening Primrose Oil Versus Borage Oil
    Udo Erasmus, PhD

I am often asked why I use evening primrose oil rather than borage oil as a source of gamma-linolenic acid, or GLA, in Udo’s Choice Oil Blend. After all, borage oil is cheaper and contains more than twice as much GLA as evening primrose oil, so this would seem like the more logical choice. However, for me, the quantity of GLA in oil and its price are not primary deciding factors. Oil quality and the beneficial biological activity of its GLA should take priority. While borage oil is widely used in the marketplace as a source of GLA, my review of the research literature suggests evening primrose oil may be preferable.

Physical Structure of the Oils

The oils from evening primrose and borage act differently in the body because the oils themselves differ in several ways. Evening primrose contains far more n-6 essential fatty acids and other beneficial ‘minor ingredients’ that play an important role in fat metabolism, especially that of GLA. In other words, GLA does not act alone in the body; it has help from other nutrients within the oil itself. For this reason, although both evening primrose and borage oil have been shown to improve some conditions such as high blood pressure, some research shows that evening primrose works better than borage, even though evening primrose actually contains less GLA.

What Does the Research Show?

Far more research has been done on evening primrose oil than borage oil. According to studies, the health-promoting activity of evening primrose is superior to borage in several ways:

In humans, evening primrose reduces the production of TxB2, a substance that increases blood’s clotting tendency, making TxB2 a risk factor for stroke, embolism, and heart attack. Borage oil, on the other hand, increases TxB2, making clot formation leading to stroke, embolism, or heart attack more likely.

Evening primrose oil decreases human platelet stickiness (aggregation) of the blood, while borage oil increases platelet stickiness, making a blood clot in an artery more likely, thereby increasing risk of a stroke, heart attack, or embolism.

In animals and humans, evening primrose elevates a substance in the body called DGLA, or dihomogamma-linolenic acid, from which the hormone prostaglandin E (PGE1) is made. PGE1 lowers cardiovascular risk factors, and DGLA also takes part in reactions that result in decreased inflammation.

In mice, evening primrose oil increases production of hormones PGE1 and prostacyclin I2 (PGI2); these two open up small blood vessels, increase blood supply to tissues, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation pain and swelling, and reduce clot formation (platelet aggregation). In contrast, borage oil reduces PGI2 levels dramatically, thereby lowering one of the body’s main defenses against stroke or heart attack.

In rats with high blood pressure, both types of oil lower blood pressure, but weight for weight, evening primrose oil is more effective.

Evening primrose oil reverses diabetic nerve damage in rats; borage oil has little or no effect.

Toxicity of Evening Primrose and Borage

A search for toxicity of evening primrose came up with the following statements: “appears to be safe for most people.” “has a very low toxicity.” “Unrefined evening primrose oil contains no known toxins.” “Unlikely to threaten life or cause significant symptoms.”

Evening primrose oil has no known potentially toxic effects. Borage oil, in contrast, might contain traces of toxins always present in the borage plant and its seeds. As protection against being eaten, borage plants make natural toxins called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs). Traces of PAs, found as ‘minor ingredients’ in borage seeds, might end up in borage oil. These toxic alkaloids accumulate in body tissues over time and can result in cancer, damage to the liver, kidney, gastrointestinal tract and respiratory system, and other serious problems.

Bottom line: Evening Primrose Oil is better than Borage Oil. If anything, the toxins in Borage Oil should be enough of a discouragement.

stanelyshane

The contribution of the recommended amount of DHA and EPA has been shown that the heart of many health benefits. The consumption of fish or dietary supplements of fish oil can reduce triglycerides, a type of blood fat and increase good cholesterol, while slightly thin the blood. All these factors contribute to reduce the risk of heart attacks. The fish oil also helps prevent dangerous abnormal heart rhythms that can cause sudden cardiac death, and stroke in people with known cardiovascular disease. Besides the many advantages already mentioned for the heart, fish oil may also slow the hardening of the arteries and slightly lower blood pressure, two other important factors in heart health.

clloyd

Question:

I know fish oil has done wonders for me in many ways. I finally got my wife to start taking at least 2grams of fish oil with breakfast (it has 300mg of EPA and DHA per 1000mg). She has been doing this for a few months.

About 10 days ago I told her to go up to 3grams in the morning with breakfast. Coincidently, for about a week, she has been feeling fatigued, a little nausea and dizziness at times? Could this be because she upped her fish oil dose? If so, why?

gallonsprit

The fish oil also helps prevent dangerous abnormal heart rhythms that may cause sudden cardiac death, and stroke in people with known heart issues. Besides the lots of advantages already mentioned for the heart, fish oil may also slow the hardening of the arteries and slightly lower blood pressure, other important factors in heart health.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top