• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    DrMariano2
    Participant

@wondering 337 wrote:

Whats a suffcient amount of Fish oil – I take 500mg EPA and 500mg DHA for 1g total.

Regular Fish Oil has about 300 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids (as EPA and DHA) per 1000 mg soft-gel capsule.

My own starting point as to what is “optimal” is at least 2400 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the form of EPA and DHA. This is what is in the traditional Eskimo diet. This diet helps reduce the risk for heart disease.

A person can generally take more. The problem of getting this much or more is cost.

Note that if Fish Oil tastes or smells fishy, then it is rancid or spoiled. Free fish oil smells and tastes like virgin olive oil.

There is a limit to how much Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to take. These are polyunsaturated fats.

Too much polyunsaturated fats can make cell membranes too soft and fluid as opposed to stiffened. This can negatively affect function – such as in neurotransmitter or hormone signaling.

The limit noted in the book, Nourishing Traditions, is about 4% of the caloric intake (with 1.5 % omega-3 and 2.4% omega-6). The rest of the fat intake should be saturated or monosaturated fats.

@DrMariano 417 wrote:

Regular Fish Oil has about 300 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids (as EPA and DHA) per 1000 mg soft-gel capsule.

My own starting point as to what is “optimal” is at least 2400 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the form of EPA and DHA. This is what is in the traditional Eskimo diet. This diet helps reduce the risk for heart disease.

A person can generally take more. The problem of getting this much or more is cost.

Note that if Fish Oil tastes or smells fishy, then it is rancid or spoiled. Free fish oil smells and tastes like virgin olive oil.

Fish oils have incredible health benefits. In rare instances people with adrenal fatigue with low cortisol have an usual high amounts of EPA and DHA with low saturated fats in the RBC which reflect the storage and not metabolism of EFA’s. In the explanation key it stated the reason for this was elevated nitric oxide, heavy metals, excessive fish oils., infections. The strange thing was that I never even took fish oils or ate organic eggs but levels where 3 times the highest end.

I have the actually test. At this time my ferritin levels where below 60 and have found articles stating that low ferritin can cause excessive nitric oxide release.

Jean

Chan, et al., 1983, found that polyunsaturated fats caused brain swelling and increased blood vessel permeability. In 1988, Chan’s group found that DHA and other polyunsaturated fatty acids added to cultured cells from the cerebral cortex produced free radicals and stimulated production of malondialdehyde and lactate, and inhibited the uptake of glutamic acid, which suggests that they would contribute to prolonged excitation of the nerves (Yu, et al., 1986). In brain slices, the polyunsaturated fatty acids caused the production of free radicals and swelling of the tissue, and the saturated fatty acids didn’t (Chan and Fishman, 1980). The PUFA inhibited the respiration of mitochondria in brain cells (Hillered and Chan, 1988), and at a higher concentration, caused them to swell (Hillered and Chan, 1989), but saturated fatty acids didn’t produce edema. Free radical activity was shown to cause the liberation of free fatty acids from the cellular structure (Chan, et al., 1982, 1984). The activation of lipases by free radicals and lipid peroxides, with the loss of potassium from the cells, suggests that excitation can become a self-stimulating process, leading to cellular destruction.

Jean

Reading medical journals and following the mass media, it’s easy to get the idea that fish oil is something any sensible person should use. It’s rare to see anything suggesting that it could be dangerous.

During the recent years in which the U.S. government has gone from warning against the consumption of too much of these omega-3 oils (“to assure that the combined daily intake of two fatty acids that are components” “(i.e., eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)) would not exceed 3 grams per person per day (g/p/d)”) to sponsoring biased industry claims, there has been considerable accumulation of information about the dangers of fish oils and omega-3 fatty acids. But there has been an even greater increase in the industry’s promotional activities.

The US government and the mass media selectively promote research that is favorable to the fish oil industry. The editorial boards of oil research journals often include industry representatives, and their editorial decisions favor research conclusions that promote the industry, in the way that editorial decisions in previous decades favored articles that denied the dangers of radiation and reported that estrogen cures almost everything. Marcia Angell, former editor of the NEJM, has observed that the “significant results” reported in published studies can be properly interpreted only by knowing how many studies reporting opposite results were rejected by the editors.

One way to evaluate published studies is to see whether they tell you everything you would need to know to replicate the experiment, and whether the information they provide is adequate for drawing the conclusions they draw, for example whether they compared the experimental subjects to proper control subjects. With just a few minimal critical principles of this sort, most “scientific” publications on nutrition, endocrinology, cancer and other degenerative diseases are seen to be unscientific. In nutritional experiments with fish oil, controls must receive similar amounts of vitamins A, D, E, and K, and should include fat free or “EFA” deficient diets for comparison.

In declaring EPA and DHA to be safe, the FDA neglected to evaluate their antithyroid, immunosuppressive, lipid peroxidative (Song et al., 2000), light sensitizing, and antimitochondrial effects, their depression of glucose oxidation (Delarue et al., 2003), and their contribution to metastatic cancer (Klieveri, et al., 2000), lipofuscinosis and liver damage, among other problems.

pmgamer18

Here is my problem with taking Fish Oil and I take it my Dr. gives me a script for it so I know it’s good. When I take it 3x’s a day my face gets so oily it gets into my eyes so I have to wipe my face with baby wipes to keep form aggravating my sink. My wife gets up set with my taking this and she is on it too because the oil comes off my face and turns the pill case a light yellow color. Lovaza 1 gram is the name of the Fish Oil I don’t take more the 2 a day.

Yet I am on Testosterone meds with HCG and found that this also makes my skin oily. But does not turn the pill case yellow.

DrMariano2
    Participant

There are other polyunsaturated fats.

But the Omega-3s and Omega-6 fatty acids are essential fats for mental and bodily function. Thus some amount is necessary for optimal health.

The primary problem in the modern world with modern diets is that too much Omega-6 fatty acids are consumed and not enough Omega-3s to balance them. This sets up an imbalance in the pro-inflammatory versus anti-inflammatory signals in the body – where pro-inflammatory signals predominate.

To counteract this problem, Omega-3s need to be consumed.

In an ideal world, we would be obtaining our Omega-3s from organically raised, and pastured farm animals as well as organically raised green leafy vegetables, and organic butter from pastured cows, etc.

But few people can afford organically grown foods all the time. Grain products including cooking oils containing much omega-6s predominate in the modern diet because they are inexpensive and plentiful.

If people can’t afford to change their diets to ideal diets, then supplements will be necessary to at least get some semblance of adequate nutrition.

Dr Mariano is absolutely correct in the fact that the average 3:6 ratio of typical Americans is >1:20. The proper ratio of fats are a major contributing factor to altered cytokines which can wreck havoc in the body with inflammation. One of the test that I find highly effective when dealing with people with low testosterone is the RBC fatty acid profile. I have had many young guys that had low testostosterone <2s do not look at why these young peoples levels are low, but want to condemn them to a life of TRT when there is no need in the first place. Even when cholesterol is below 130 and T levels are low, I will combine what the RBC fatty acid test shows along with actuall00 and when examined their diet and fat content of the cell they lack the essential building blocks to make the hormones. With the essential fatty acid profile it takes the guessing work out of which fats they need or do not need. By using this test and adjusting peoples diet according to the test has saved a few people from going on TRT. Traditional endo cholesterol pills along with nutrients which are shown to be deficient from the spectracell test. A lot of young men come levels when properly nutritional supported with selenium, zinc, magnesium and EFA testosterone levels return to the 600 range with in 3-4 months. At the 4 month mark then another EFA test is done is to see what changes have occured and their supplements are reduced dramatically. This test is very helpful in guiding Dr's dealing with depression and mental issues to exactly to what fats are out of balance. The protocol I suggest to people that are not sure is 1-2 TBSP of hempseed butter, with 2 organic eggs a day, 1 TBSP of EVCO or 1 TBSP of organic butter. The reason I use hemp butter is because it is 3:1 ratio and this will help correct an imbalance and it will not oxidize to a free radical like other oils do. The amazing thing that happens when a person eat 1-2 tbsp of hemp butter a day is that when they are retested 3 months later there 3:6 ratio is 1:3 which is perfect. I have seen this occur on numerous test.

Jean

I’ve speaking with Dr Kingheart, he doesn’t beleive in the test of fatty acid in US. Only in Germany you can find people who do the right test

OK, it’s good to take hemp oil for 3/1, but you need to take in charge all the omega 6 in your diet – there are everywhere

When there is clinical evidence supporting developing protocols that are based upon the testing results with changes in a person well being and also hormones levels. This test has been used in autistic childern for over 10 years with great success. The results can not be invalid as the child does understand the principles behind why they are taking the supplements. I have been a patient of one of the worlds leading experts in lipids Dr Patricia Kane and she noted that once the imbalances of these childern are correct there is noticeable improvement in their behavior. Lipid infusion therapy is very popular in her clinic and has worked miracles with these childern. When people have a high omega 3 to 6 ratio it is usually from heavy metals or intestinal infections which are very common with these childern as now as the general public. Of all the 50 or so test I have ran so far especially with people with Cystic fibrosis there has been dramatically improvement that was unexplainable by these peoples dr as miraculous. One CF person O2 out but went from 60% to 85% in CF that is significant. All I did was to re-establish their EFA based upon the RBC fatty acid testing. I am actually in the process of working on getting clinical studies done with this at CHOPS (leading childerns institute of CF) as potential therapy.

Jean

thank for your answer

If you are referring to the fatty acid profile in a VAP test then yes I can totally concur. I watched on the news the other night that they took blood before and after consuming a normal meal that one would have at a nice 5 start dinner. The ultra sound, blood fats, taken before and 2 hours after the meal showed that there was a considerable difference in the ultrasound as it was sounding more rough then before. When the blood was drawn before and after there was a huge deviation in the cholesterol and lipids. You did not need a blood test to see the difference since it was plainly visible by how thick the blood was. Just think this is just one meal representing basically what Amercians eat 3 times a day or 80% of the time.

Mebigusmall

I remember reading something from dr Ray peat about high dose fish oil reducing vitamin A and doing so for up to a year after stopping use. I’ll look for the article, it was to advanced for me anyway.

I run a comprehensive profile on many patients to look at nutritional imbalances. Surprising I am finding majority of people are actually loaded in fish oils which is causing immune suppression, low energy levels,altered glucose metabolism, bleeding issues, low testosterone.
    I tell people just to eat salmon 2-3 times a week and you should be good to go. I do not recommend fish supplements because have the time you do not know where they come from how polluted their oils are, what type of fish they are from (could be from crap of the ocean from eating scavengers on the bottom of the sea bed), Atleast when you eat salmon you know what you are getting.

Mebigusmall

HAN even with brands such as carlsons? I was considering cod liver oil.

wapf fan

Just plain fish oil is not a whole food. The vitamins A and D are not present as they are in cod liver oil. See link below for a discussion on the role of cod liver oil in the diet and recommended brands. [“http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/cod-live-oil-menu.html”%5D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top