Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS NUTRITION AND METABOLISM What are optimal levels of iron for males?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Johnny

Hello Dr Mariano and others,

What are optimal levels of iron in a healthy male?

What are your thoughts on supplementing with iron?

A few years back I was convinced I had hemachromatosis, primarily by looking at ferritin, and much of the literature from the hemachromatosis camp kept hammering how dangerous too much iron is for the human body and that I should FEAR iron.

Now I realize that my iron levels actually may be low, something I never even considered in the past. Curious about your opinion on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Johnny

DrMariano2
    Participant

Generally, the upper half of the ferritin and serum iron reference range is going to be better than the lower half so long as there is enough vitamin A and copper as ceruloplasmin without the presence of Wilson’s disease.

compaq

@DrMariano 4938 wrote:

Generally, the upper half of the ferritin and serum iron reference range is going to be better than the lower half so long as there is enough vitamin A and copper as ceruloplasmin without the presence of Wilson’s disease.

Dr Mariano, nobody really talks about vitamin A that much. But recently I’ve seen you talking about vitamin A and it stuck out to me. This is another example.

Can you say more about the particular significance of vitamin A?

Starting to re-evaluation things as drops in ferritin levels may be a response by the body to protect it self from going into a pro inflammatory state from a pathogen or cancer. With hemochromatosis being the leading cause of heart issues. i’m finding that most people are carriers for this gene (>70% tested so far my self included) my views on ferritin are going to be a more conversation approach from now on. This is just my view and my experience working with medical Drs from people in a diseased state.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top