Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS NEUROSCIENCE Vegetative man tells doctors ‘I’m not in pain’ via MRI communication

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    akiravp82
    DrMariano2
    Participant

In locked-in syndrome, a brainstem stroke or injury totally paralyzes a person except for the ability to move one’s eyes. One is fully conscious but can only move the eyes.

In Total locked-in syndrome, even the eyes are paralyzed.

There was a case in 2002, where a man had total locked in-syndrome due to ALS. He was able to communicate via changes in his EEG when he thought of answers to question.

EEG would be a more portable solution than an FMRI machine.

It is pretty horrible to live like that, however, for any prolonged period of time. The prospect of improvement is fairly slim.

akiravp82

ya i cant even imagine how tuff life would be living like that thats pretty insane , intresting you point out EGG doing the same thing and since its more portable perhaps they can come out with a similar type of machine in the future for people in these conditions to be able to communicate with there loved ones on a daily basis but i would imagine something like that wont be created until a long time from now , one thing im confused about this article is that they say the man is in a “vegatative state” yet hes able to communicate via MRI about wether hes in pain or not so this means hes not entirely vegatative right ?

DrMariano2
    Participant

They thought he was “vegetative” – meaning in a coma, unresponsive to stimuli, without signs of conscious brain activity – essentially a vegetable.

But they found he was not vegetative at all since he is conscious and can respond via changes in his fMRI activity.

akiravp82

I see what your saying , this is very intresting stuff i could just imagine in the future maybe they can create something for these kind of patients to use on a daily basis.

compaq

incredible

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top