Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS NUTRITION AND METABOLISM vegan diet and high level of energy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jean

After an e_mail from Dr Rau “the swiss secret”, I change my diet from omnivore diet to vega diet with less protein and no vitamins pills. After fews week my energy level go up, my bodyfat shutdown and I don’t lose muscle.
    My verdict : many study today are wrong; Try and experiment. Vitamins don’t help too.

I hope to cure my adrenal fatigue because my energy go up every day.

Plant protein is better for me than animal protein depiste my groupe O

Source: Cordite Country

[Hayden’s Note: While I love Cordi, this is a loooong read but one that is extremely informative! Don’t rush to read it and skip over parts! Bookmark this page and read it when you can… you won’t regret it!]

THE VITAMIN MYTH EXPOSED
    Only Mother Nature can make an apple. Only nature can make a cell.

Scientists and chemists continue to try in vain to duplicate in a laboratory the molecular structure of many different isolated natural substances. When you analyze them with an electron microscope they can look identical, yet in some invisible, yet significant way they are not. Although scientists can make seawater with exactly the same chemical structure as natural seawater, when you put a salt-water fish in this synthetic environment, the fish dies. What is it in natural seawater that sustains life?

VITA means life. Vita defines the difference between synthetic and what is now known as naturally-occurring.

Putting the word “Natural” on the vitamin label is deceptive. The word is constantly abused and as such its meaning has been diluted to a point where it holds little value. Many misleading labels on supplement products take advantage of the ambiguity of the word “natural” to project a wholesome marketing image – most often when the product does not merit it.

Naturally-occurring vitamins are obtained by taking a nutrient-rich plant, removing the water and the fiber in a chemical-free vacuum process, and packaging it for stability. The entire vitamin complex is captured intact, retaining its full-spectrum functional and nutritional integrity.
    Another primary difference between real full-spectrum whole-food vitamins and synthetic vitamins is that realvitamins contain the essential trace minerals necessary for the vitamins’ synergistic operation. Synthetic vitaminscontain no trace minerals and must utilize the body’s own mineral reserves. Ingesting real vitamins does not require the body to deplete its own reserves of nutrients to replace any nutrients missing from the false vitamin complex.
    Mega doses of synthetic vitamins can have very serious toxic effects. Naturally-occurring whole-food vitamins are not toxic since the vitamin is complexed in its natural whole integral working form, and requires nothing from the body to “build” a vitamin. Naturally-occurring whole food vitamins are only necessary in small quantities on a daily basis.
    Mainstream marketing of vitamins and minerals has created the myth that vitamins and minerals may be isolated individually and from one other, and that we can derive total benefit from taking these fractionated chemical creations. Nothing could be further from the truth!
    Vitamins, minerals and enzymes work closely together as co-factors for each other’s efficacy. If one part is missing, or is fractionated, or in the incorrect form or the incorrect amount, entire chains of metabolic processes cannot and will not proceed normally. Only nature can provide us with naturally-occurring vitamins as found in real, wholesome organic foods.
    The overwhelming majority of vitamin products sold in groceries, drug stores or mass-marketing retailers contain synthetic ingredients. What our bodies require are supplement products made exclusively from naturally-occurringnutrients rather than toxic laboratory synthesized ones. Currently only conscious companies produce supplements with naturally-occurring ingredients. These companies should be commended and supported for offering natural health-promoting products to the consumer.
    Difference between natural vs. synthetic
    Each year in North American alone, people spend over $20 billion on vitamins, minerals and other dietary supplements, believing that these products are benefiting us. But are they? What is the real truth about vitamins? If we eat a balanced diet, do we really need nutritional supplements? To answer this question we have to go back to our roots – our soil.
    The body is unable to manufacture most vitamins for itself, and so they must be obtained from nutritional sources. In our grandparents’ time the soil was rich with nutrients that produced healthy, vigorous crops rich in vitamin content. Today our soils are laced with industrial pollution, pesticides and chemical fertilizers that not only pollute our soils, but also activate further soil erosion. Our foods have only a fraction of the nutrient value of 70-100 years ago.
    Our polluted air and water systems deplete our bodies of their store of nutrients, and the stresses of modern life are weakening our genetic and immune systems. The answer is that today we do need vitamin and nutrient supplementation, whereas 100 years ago we did not.
    The mineral depletion of our soils and foods is not news. The U.S. government has been issuing official warnings since 1936. The U.S. Senate Document #264, published by the 2nd session of the 74th Congress in 1936 stated the following:
    “Most of us today are suffering from certain dangerous diet deficiencies which cannot be remedied until the depleted soils from which our foods come are brought into proper mineral balance. Foods, fruits, vegetables and grains that are now being raised on millions of acres of land that no longer contain enough of certain needed minerals, are starving us – no matter how much of these foods we eat. Leading authorities state that 99% of the American people are deficient in these minerals, and that a marked deficiency in any one of the more important minerals actually results in disease. Any upset of the balance or any considerable lack of one or another element, however microscopic, causes problems and we sicken, suffer, and shorten our lives. Lacking vitamins, the system can make some use of minerals; but lacking minerals, vitamins are useless.” That was over 70 years ago. Just imagine how the report would read today.
    Unfortunately, we all have a big job ahead to restore our soil quality – even on organic farms – and bring back thenutrients that have been farmed out of our food. It is urgent that we reintroduce proper organic farming as the primary method, as well as the rotation of crops to improve the quality of our soils, among other benefits. It has taken many decades to ruin our soils and it will take time to revive them and bring them back to health again; but, it can be done. As world citizens we can transform our farmlands; one way is by purchasing organic foods. In the meantime, the only way we can guarantee getting adequate nutrients then, is through food supplementation with naturally-occurring, non-synthetic vitamin and nutrients, preferably from organic farms that focus on soil conservation.
    Vitamins are organic micronutrients essential to normal human metabolism. Unlike fats, carbohydrates and some proteins, vitamins are not metabolized to provide energy. Most are not manufactured by the body but are present in minute quantities in natural foodstuffs. Each of these naturally-occurring organic compounds performs a specific vital function and is required by the body for disease prevention and good health.
    The known vitamins are divided into four fat-soluble types (A, D, E and K) and nine water-soluble types (eight Bvitamins and vitamin C). The fat-soluble vitamins can be stored in the body and do not need to be ingested every day. Because the fat-soluble vitamins are not eliminated from the body through the urine, ingesting too many of them creates toxicity. The water-soluble vitamins are more easily eliminated and can be taken in larger amounts without danger of toxicity. Vitamin C and the eight B vitamins (except for Vitamin B-12 and Folic Acid) are water soluble. They cannot be stored and must be consumed frequently for optimal health.

wapf fan

I agree with you about vitamins and the poor state of our soil. I fear it will never improve.

I must share with you what I know about eliminating animal foods from one’s diet. Vegetables are not nutrient dense and “do not include a host of key nutrients, such as vitamins A, D and K, DHA, EPA arachidonic acid, taurine, iodine, biotin, pantothenic acid, and vital minerals like sodium, chloride, potassium, sulfur, phosphorus, copper, manganese, boron, molybdenum and chromium,” says Sally Fallon Morell, president of the Weston A. Price Foundation.
    “Animal foods like meat, liver, butter, whole milk and eggs contain ten to one hundred times more vitamins and minerals than plant foods,” says Fallon Morell. “Plant foods add variety and interest to the human diet but in most circumstances do not qualify as ‘nutrient-dense’ foods.”

When people who are sick adopt a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle many times they will feel better but that is because at the same time they are eliminating lots of bad things they were eating like processed foods. So of course they feel better. But for long term health people need animal fats and proteins. The vegetables and fruits just add some extra vitamins and minerals to the diet.

Our ancestors thrived on animal products. They prized the organs and fat. Animal fat is all people used for cooking besides olive oil for thousands of years. Cancer and heart disease were virtually unknown or completely absent from many cultures.

Rami

@wapf fan 2612 wrote:

I agree with you about vitamins and the poor state of our soil. I fear it will never improve.

I must share with you what I know about eliminating animal foods from one’s diet. Vegetables are not nutrient dense and “do not include a host of key nutrients, such as vitamins A, D and K, DHA, EPA arachidonic acid, taurine, iodine, biotin, pantothenic acid, and vital minerals like sodium, chloride, potassium, sulfur, phosphorus, copper, manganese, boron, molybdenum and chromium,” says Sally Fallon Morell, president of the Weston A. Price Foundation.
    “Animal foods like meat, liver, butter, whole milk and eggs contain ten to one hundred times more vitamins and minerals than plant foods,” says Fallon Morell. “Plant foods add variety and interest to the human diet but in most circumstances do not qualify as ‘nutrient-dense’ foods.”

When people who are sick adopt a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle many times they will feel better but that is because at the same time they are eliminating lots of bad things they were eating like processed foods. So of course they feel better. But for long term health people need animal fats and proteins. The vegetables and fruits just add some extra vitamins and minerals to the diet.

Our ancestors thrived on animal products. They prized the organs and fat. Animal fat is all people used for cooking besides olive oil for thousands of years. Cancer and heart disease were virtually unknown or completely absent from many cultures.

Vegetables are not nutrient dense foods? How is “nutrient-dense” defined? I think of nutrient density as amount of nutrients delivered per calorie. Most plants are nutrient-dense foods, especially vegetables and fruits. Legumes, grains, it’s and seeds are less nutrient dense, but they do have valuable nutrients as well.

Vitamin A is abundant in plants. Over abundant, actually. Our bodies are able to take what’s in the plants and convert it. One can see for oneself, the information is readily available on http://www.nutritiondata.com. Look up kale and see how much vitamin A you get from, say, one cup (67 g): over 200% of the RDI.

You are right, vitamin D is scarce, though not entirely absent, in plants. Monterey mushrooms provide 400 IU per 84 g. Soy-, almond and hemp milk are fortified with vitamin D, as is cows’ milk. Furthermore, the best way to get vitamin D is through sun exposure. THIS is the reason most Americans are vitamin D deficient (despite the fact that they eat plenty of meat, dairy and eggs) – they spend little time in the sun. Still, it is advisable for vegans and no vegans to take a supplement, just to be safe.

Vitamin K? Again, it is over abundant in plants. That same cup of kale delivers over 600% of the RDI. Perhaps you were thinking of vitamin K2? You are right, K2 is scarce. Yet we are able to convert a small amount of K1 into K2. And considering the enormous quantities of K1 vegans consume, even if a small percentage of the K1 converted into K2, that would still be a substantial amount. And if that’s not enough for you, then enjoy some sauerkraut or natto (although I understand it is excessively unpleasant…).

DHA and EPA are indeed a concern. In theory we should be able to convert something like 1-5% of our omega-3s into DHA. I take in about 5-6 g of n-3 every day, so that means that i end up with somewhere between 50 and 300 mg of DHA. That’s probably suboptimal, so I take a vegan DHA/EPA supplement, just to be safe.

Taurine is not an essential amino acid and most people are ale to manufacture what they need. A small percentage of people do need more taurine, so they can take a supplement. But most do not need to.

Iodine is easy. Spinach and strawberries contain a small amount, but the easiest way to get a lot of iodine is through a seaweed snack. They are delicious. MOST Americans get their iodine not from animal flesh but from… Iodized salt.

I don’t know where Mme Sally Fallon Morrell gets the idea that vegan diets are deficient in all of these other nutrients you mentioned. Pantothenic acid (B5) is abundant. It’s in everything! Mushrooms and tomato paste are particularly good sources. Molybdenum is abundant in legumes. NaCl is indeed low in plants, and we like it the way. Sodium should be kept to under 1000 mg a day. If you want it higher, then enjoy some Swiss chard and selery. Or just flavor your food with a bit of liquid aminos.

Potassium is, again, abundant! Eggplant and potatoes are excellent sources. I have never had any problem getting up to 5000 mg from as little as 2000 Cal.

Copper and manganese? Are you kidding me? They are ridiculously easy to get plent of. Mushrooms are a superb source of copper, and selenium, for that matter.

Let me assure you that I’m not just regurgitating someone else’s predigested nutritional dogma. I have done my homework. After being repeatedly told by people that vegan ism is dangerous and that I won’t be able to get the nutrients I need, I decided to track my nutritional intake and see for myself. and for years now I have been able to look at the numbers and report that, with the notable exception of vitamin B12, every vitamin and mineral are taken care of – easily – with a whole-food plant-based diet. It is very nutrient dense. And, if you’ll forgive the anecdotal evidence, I have felt the difference. Mme Morrell’s statement that animal products are many times more nutrient-dense than plants is simply factually untrue. Calorie per calorie, plants offer MUCH higher levels of vitamins and minerals, and (often overlooked) phytonutrients.

Don’t take my word for it. Look up the nutritional information for 200 calories of salmon (perhaps the most Nutrient-dense meat there is) and collard greens. You’ll see for yourself.

Rami

Here is the nutritional info for 100 or so calories of bok-choi. Sure, it is not a good source of vitamin D, E and B12, but Note the enormous quantities of the other vitamins and minerals:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2377/2

And now take a look at the nutritional info for about 120 Cal of wild Atlantic salmon. While it is a great source of protein, vitamin B12 and selenium, Note the much lower quantity of most other vitamins and minerals: virtually no vitamin A, C, E, K, very little calcium. And this is one of the most Nutrient-dense Animal foods we have.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4102/2

sanfrancisco

It is good to be vegetarian because green vegetables are very good for our health.
    It gives a high level of energy.You can also go on a raw veggies diet for weight loss……

marrythomson

@Jean 2611 wrote:

After an e_mail from Dr Rau “the swiss secret”, I change my diet from omnivore diet to vega diet with less protein and no vitamins pills. After fews week my energy level go up, my bodyfat shutdown and I don’t lose muscle.
    My verdict : many study today are wrong; Try and experiment. Vitamins don’t help too.

I hope to cure my adrenal fatigue because my energy go up every day.

Plant protein is better for me than animal protein depiste my groupe O

Source: Cordite Country

[Hayden’s Note: While I love Cordi, this is a loooong read but one that is extremely informative! Don’t rush to read it and skip over parts! Bookmark this page and read it when you can… you won’t regret it!]

THE VITAMIN MYTH EXPOSED
    Only Mother Nature can make an apple. Only nature can make a cell.

Scientists and chemists continue to try in vain to duplicate in a laboratory the molecular structure of many different isolated natural substances. When you analyze them with an electron microscope they can look identical, yet in some invisible, yet significant way they are not. Although scientists can make seawater with exactly the same chemical structure as natural seawater, when you put a salt-water fish in this synthetic environment, the fish dies. What is it in natural seawater that sustains life?

VITA means life. Vita defines the difference between synthetic and what is now known as naturally-occurring.

Putting the word “Natural” on the vitamin label is deceptive. The word is constantly abused and as such its meaning has been diluted to a point where it holds little value. Many misleading labels on supplement products take advantage of the ambiguity of the word “natural” to project a wholesome marketing image – most often when the product does not merit it.

Naturally-occurring vitamins are obtained by taking a nutrient-rich plant, removing the water and the fiber in a chemical-free vacuum process, and packaging it for stability. The entire vitamin complex is captured intact, retaining its full-spectrum functional and nutritional integrity.
    Another primary difference between real full-spectrum whole-food vitamins and synthetic vitamins is that realvitamins contain the essential trace minerals necessary for the vitamins’ synergistic operation. Synthetic vitaminscontain no trace minerals and must utilize the body’s own mineral reserves. Ingesting real vitamins does not require the body to deplete its own reserves of nutrients to replace any nutrients missing from the false vitamin complex.
    Mega doses of synthetic vitamins can have very serious toxic effects. Naturally-occurring whole-food vitamins are not toxic since the vitamin is complexed in its natural whole integral working form, and requires nothing from the body to “build” a vitamin. Naturally-occurring whole food vitamins are only necessary in small quantities on a daily basis.
    Mainstream marketing of vitamins and minerals has created the myth that vitamins and minerals may be isolated individually and from one other, and that we can derive total benefit from taking these fractionated chemical creations. Nothing could be further from the truth!
    Vitamins, minerals and enzymes work closely together as co-factors for each other’s efficacy. If one part is missing, or is fractionated, or in the incorrect form or the incorrect amount, entire chains of metabolic processes cannot and will not proceed normally. Only nature can provide us with naturally-occurring vitamins as found in real, wholesome organic foods.
    The overwhelming majority of vitamin products sold in groceries, drug stores or mass-marketing retailers contain synthetic ingredients. What our bodies require are supplement products made exclusively from naturally-occurringnutrients rather than toxic laboratory synthesized ones. Currently only conscious companies produce supplements with naturally-occurring ingredients. These companies should be commended and supported for offering natural health-promoting products to the consumer.
    Difference between natural vs. synthetic
    Each year in North American alone, people spend over $20 billion on vitamins, minerals and other dietary supplements, believing that these products are benefiting us. But are they? What is the real truth about vitamins? If we eat a balanced diet, do we really need nutritional supplements? To answer this question we have to go back to our roots – our soil.
    The body is unable to manufacture most vitamins for itself, and so they must be obtained from nutritional sources. In our grandparents’ time the soil was rich with nutrients that produced healthy, vigorous crops rich in vitamin content. Today our soils are laced with industrial pollution, pesticides and chemical fertilizers that not only pollute our soils, but also activate further soil erosion. Our foods have only a fraction of the nutrient value of 70-100 years ago.
    Our polluted air and water systems deplete our bodies of their store of nutrients, and the stresses of modern life are weakening our genetic and immune systems. The answer is that today we do need vitamin and nutrient supplementation, whereas 100 years ago we did not.
    The mineral depletion of our soils and foods is not news. The U.S. government has been issuing official warnings since 1936. The U.S. Senate Document #264, published by the 2nd session of the 74th Congress in 1936 stated the following:
    “Most of us today are suffering from certain dangerous diet deficiencies which cannot be remedied until the depleted soils from which our foods come are brought into proper mineral balance. Foods, fruits, vegetables and grains that are now being raised on millions of acres of land that no longer contain enough of certain needed minerals, are starving us – no matter how much of these foods we eat. Leading authorities state that 99% of the American people are deficient in these minerals, and that a marked deficiency in any one of the more important minerals actually results in disease. Any upset of the balance or any considerable lack of one or another element, however microscopic, causes problems and we sicken, suffer, and shorten our lives. Lacking vitamins, the system can make some use of minerals; but lacking minerals, vitamins are useless.” That was over 70 years ago. Just imagine how the report would read today.
    Unfortunately, we all have a big job ahead to restore our soil quality – even on organic farms – and bring back thenutrients that have been farmed out of our food. It is urgent that we reintroduce proper organic farming as the primary method, as well as the rotation of crops to improve the quality of our soils, among other benefits. It has taken many decades to ruin our soils and it will take time to revive them and bring them back to health again; but, it can be done. As world citizens we can transform our farmlands; one way is by purchasing organic foods. In the meantime, the only way we can guarantee getting adequate nutrients then, is through food supplementation with naturally-occurring, non-synthetic vitamin and nutrients, preferably from organic farms that focus on soil conservation.
    Vitamins are organic micronutrients essential to normal human metabolism. Unlike fats, carbohydrates and some proteins, vitamins are not metabolized to provide energy. Most are not manufactured by the body but are present in minute quantities in natural foodstuffs. Each of these naturally-occurring organic compounds performs a specific vital function and is required by the body for disease prevention and good health.
    The known vitamins are divided into four fat-soluble types (A, D, E and K) and nine water-soluble types (eight Bvitamins and vitamin C). The fat-soluble vitamins can be stored in the body and do not need to be ingested every day. Because the fat-soluble vitamins are not eliminated from the body through the urine, ingesting too many of them creates toxicity. The water-soluble vitamins are more easily eliminated and can be taken in larger amounts without danger of toxicity. Vitamin C and the eight B vitamins (except for Vitamin B-12 and Folic Acid) are water soluble. They cannot be stored and must be consumed frequently for optimal health.

You have written a nice article on vegan diet and high level of energy.
    It seems that you might had put a great effort while writing such a wonderful article.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top