• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    The450Man

Surely no one has much if any experience with this drug. Many have never even heard of it. Its quite unique. Thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.valdoxan.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agomelatine

I wana get my hands on some of this stuff.

DrMariano2
    Participant

@The450Man 717 wrote:

Surely no one has much if any experience with this drug. Many have never even heard of it. Its quite unique. Thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.valdoxan.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agomelatine

I wana get my hands on some of this stuff.

Apparently, it has been approved in Europe, but is still in phase III trials in the U.S.

This means it still has a long way to go to prove that it works as an antidepressant.

This is an interesting medication.

It has a very short half-life – about 1-2 hours.

It blocks Serotonin 2C receptors and it triggers Melatonin MT1 and MT2 receptors.

Blocking Serotonin 2C receptors apparently may increase frontal cortex dopamine and norepinephrine, accounting for its antidepressant effects.

Triggering Melatonin 2 receptors is an action similar to that of Melatonin, except Melatonin also triggers MT3 receptors. It is more similar to Rozerem in this regard – triggering MT1 and MT2 receptors. Thus perhaps it promotes sleep.

Blocking Serotonin 2C receptors, however, has problems. Serotonin 2C receptors are also famously blocked by the Atypical Antipsychotic medications – such as Olanzapine, Risperidone, Clozapine, etc.

Blocking Serotonin 2C receptors is associated with significant appetite increase and weight gain.

Serotonin 2C receptors are also associated with diabetes. Triggering Serotonin 2C receptors helps reduce insulin resistance and reduces the severity of diabetes. Blocking them would be expected to have the opposite effect.

Also, in depression and stress and suicide, Serotonin 2C receptor are produced in a defective, less effective receptor state – compared to the non-depressed, non-stressed, non-suicidal individuals. Blocking Serotonin 2C receptors produces a similar effect.

—-

The listed side effects in short term use are:
    (common means between 1 to 10% of patients, uncommon means between 0.1 to 1 %)

Nervous system disorders:
    Common: headache, dizziness, somnolence, insomnia, migraine
    Uncommon: paraesthesia

Eye disorders:
    Uncommon: blurred vision

Gastrointestinal disorders:
    Common: nausea, diarrhoea, constipation, upper abdominal pain

Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders
    Common: hyperhidrosis
    Uncommon: eczema
    Rare: erythematous rash

Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders
    Common: back pain

General disorders and administration site conditions:
    Common: fatigue

Hepato-biliary disorders:
    Common increases (>3 times the upper limit of the normal range) in ALAT and/or ASAT (i.e. 1.1% on agomelatine 25/50 mg vs. 0.7 % on placebo).
    Rare: hepatitis

Psychiatric disorders:
    Common: anxiety
    Frequency not known: Suicidal thoughts or behaviour

Side effects are fairly common with this medication.

Thus, I would wonder what effects on the rest of the nervous system, endocrine system, and immune system it is triggering. Some of these effects would negate any good effects from treatment.

I would not be so quick to jump on the bandwagon for this medication.

I would have preferred a medication that would block Serotonin 2A. That would be a more useful medication. I am still waiting for one.

Note that in psychiatry, medications are chosen by a process similar to throwing mud on the wall then determining which one of the mud balls stick, through statistical analysis. Medications are generally not chosen because they actually treat the pathophysiology of the mental illness. They are chosen primarily because of statistical improvement versus placebo.

The primary reason this occurs is that there is no definition of “the mind” in all of medicine – including psychiatry and other mental health fields. Thus, the pathophysiology of a mental illness cannot be established. If one doesn’t know what one is looking it, one can’t determine what is wrong.

Of course, this begs the question, what is my definition of the mind. That is something I will post in the near future. That is why I called my site “The Definitive Mind” in the first place.

LoveSleep

I have used Valdoxan for SAD and it was a nightmare. Much worse than Paroxetine.

I began treatment in Early August this year premtively anticipating the onset of SAD. By 15 August I was so low I could hardly communicate with my friends but put this down to SAD and was hopeful that these symptoms would diminish after 2 weeks.

By week 3 of treatment I was suffering the strangest insomnia. I’d sleep for approx 2hrs then lie awake for half an hour. This repeated all night and remained constant all thru treatment. I was constantly exhausted.

By week 3 the exhaustion and low mood meant that I became suicidal. The quack increased the dose. I became overcome with thoughts of suicide and self harm and despite 3 weeks of complaining re insomnia, suicidal thoughts I wqas given tamazapam which gave temp relief for 4 days. after Then I still could not break the disrupted sleep patterns with 10 mgs of Tamazapam. I’m not playing around with that stuff!!!

I explained to my GP on Friday about my problems and he reccommended stopping Valdoxan. My PsycoQuack called this morning telling me to keep taking the stuff.

Since ceasing use of Valdoxan I got the first good sleep for 6 weeks on Sat nite and the suicidal thoughts have stopped too.

This med is as dangerous as Paroxetine and in my case even more dangerous than Seroxat/Paroxetine.

Be careful 🙂

The450Man

LoveSleep thanks for the pm

as far as your reactions, i really dont know what to say. Seems like you had some kind of paradox effect from the med. This field is so confusing sometimes!

rjs

I was on 25mg valdoxan for 7 weeks. Main side effect was insomnia. Slepts for about 3 hours and then sleep/wake for the rest of the night. No real AD effect. Went up to 50mg and have been on that for 7 weeks now. Beginning to get a better sleep and seeing a bit of an AD effect. Will give it another few weeks.

rayfrank

Liver function tests should be performed in all patients: at baseline and periodically after about six weeks, twelve weeks and twenty-four weeks and then when indicated.Patients clinical depression should be treated for a sufficient period of at least six months to ensure they are free symptoms.Valdoxan, tablet 25 mg at bedtime, offers new hope for the 33 million people in Europe suffer from major depressive disorder.

Winterblue

Hi there,

I’m new. Just wanted to comment on my Valdoxan experience. I started taking 25mg one tablet per night a week ago. Almost immediately I had all over body itching to the extent that in the first few nights I made myself bleed by scratching legs, arms etc continuously. I thought this might subside so continued on. Over the next few days I started feeling more depressed and suicidal and on the 5th day started writing a suicide note to my therapist. I managed to distract myself but by that stage had totally withdrawn from seeing anyone or caring about life. My sleep patterns got worse only being able to sleep one hour from 11-12 at night and then again for an hour from 4-5am. I managed to put on 5kgs in 5 days too. Subsequently felt life was not worth living and wrote another suicide note for my therapist. Luckily I went to my psychiatrist on the next day and told him I wanted to come off of it. He was surprised that I reacted that way. I’m on no other medication and this is the first AD I’ve tried in 5 years when I last took zoloft. Zoloft had other effects but they did not appear as quickly or intensely. Hope this helps others. I know everyone reacts differently but I’m staying away from it.

Houston1970

Everybody should try a ketamine infussion. It really helps with moods, but more importantly a spiritual experince. Psychedelics are needed in today’s world to build peace, tolerance, and empathy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top