Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS NEUROSCIENCE the "bundle damage theory" in psychiatry!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jean

Hi Dr Mariano,

What do you think about the “bundle damage theory” in psychiatry from Marty Hinz ?
    Thank

http://hinzmd.com/15%20relative%20nutritional%20deficiencies.pdf

http://neurosupport.com/When_reuptake_inhiibitors_quit_working.htm

DrMariano2
    Participant

I think it is interesting.

But I also think it is a massive oversimplification which essentially is the monoamine hypothesis “plus” the postulate of a relative nutrient deficiency addressed by very high dose monoamine precursor amino acid treatment.

It over-reaches to explain multiple illnesses such as migraine headaches, premenstrual syndrome. Restless-legs syndrome often is an iron deficiency impairing dopamine synthesis, for example, not a nutritional deficiency of tyrosine. Migraine is more clearly explained as a pro-inflammatory illness, not a monoamine illness.

It also makes many assumptions – such as post-synaptic damage – that have no well-established basis. Major depressive disorder, for example, is generally not an illness involving post-synaptic neuronal damage. The theory postulates toxic, genetic, etc. factors causing the post-synaptic damage. The problem is this postulate is hugely vague.

It completely ignores the contribution of glial cells, the immune system, the endocrine system, the gastrointestinal system, metabolism, and numerous other nutrients, etc. in the development of various illnesses.

I believe the theory only applies to a small subset of patients – such as those with malformed dopamine receptors – thus needing a higher dopamine signal.

Some patients due benefit from L-dopa, 5-HTP, tyrosine treatment – some even from massive doses. But these large doses can also cause significant problems in other systems – e.g. increasing systemic serotonin may lead to edema and osteoporosis. L-dopa, of course, can lead to severe constipation, hypotension, sedation, and abnormal movement disorders.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top