Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS MEN’S HEALTH Testosterone level at 1642 ng/dl after starting TRT.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LouReed9

Hello gents!

This is my first post here in the forum so be gentle if I don’t get it exactly right the first time. 😉

I’ll start with the bottom line here I suppose.

In April of 2013 I had my T level tested and at that time it was 172 ng/dl. And, just for the record, I had all of the symptoms of low T. I could have been a poster boy for the “disorder”. At any rate my doctor prescribed Androgel 1.62. 1 pump per day. After 30 days my T level was at 292 ng/dl. (I haven’t really started at the bottom line here at all. FYI.)

I was instructed to go to 2 pumps a day at that time but held off because I had an appt. with an endocrinologist scheduled. That was in August of 2013. After giving him my history and an examination by the doctor it was decided to proceed with the 2 pump dosage. A month later in September, 2013, my T level was at 1165 ng/dl. This particular lab uses a scale of 348-1197 just for the record.

I know the Androgel literature recommends decreasing the dosage at 750 or higher but the endo. said keep doing what you’re doing. So I did.

I didn’t have blood drawn again until February of 2014. 6 days prior to my next endo. appt. Which was on March,4. They didn’t have the results yet at that point for some reason but I was told they would call me when they came in. They never called. I was able to download the results myself from the labs website and was shocked to see my T level was at 1642 ng/dl! This was yesterday by the way. So I called the endo’s office and told them the whole story and was told the doctor would look at the results and if there was a problem they would call to let me know. Never got a call.

Question: What are the possible consequences of a T level that high for an extended period of time? Is this doctor inept or am I upset for nothing?

Well my finger is getting tired so I’ll stop there for now. I look forward to your responses. Please feel free to ask for additional info. if needed.

Thanks!

pmgamer18

Here is a cut and paste of a post I sent someone about using Androgel and would be the same in your case. If you put on the gel then did your labs they can spike up very high you need to shower the morning of your labs and do them before using the gel.
    =================================
    Starting on Androgel, Testim or Creams.
    Yes this happens a lot you start on a low starting dose 5 grams when your brain sees the testosterone in your blood even just a little it slows down even stops sending the LH and FSH message to your testis to make the Testosterone you were making. So let’s say your labs for Total T were 350 you add this dose of gel your brain sees this and you lose the base level you had before the gel.

Now lets say you need more then 5 grams most do so now all you left with is what the gel is doing so lets say it’s doing 200 so you lost 150.

The reason you feel good is your levels go up that 200 the gel is doing in the first 2 weeks so your levels go up to 550 in theory. The brain sees this and you fall back.

Why can this happen it might be how your putting on the gel, with Androgel you need to spread it over your upper arms and shoulders and down your back as far as you can reach this is half of your dose then do the other side. Just spread it over the area but don’t rub it in.

The other thing is it’s not getting through your skin good so you need more. If you have a thyroid problem your skin will become thicker and gels and creams don’t get through the skin and you need to switch to shots.

I tell men when they go on Gels to retest in 2 weeks because you can end up feeling worse. Most men just need more gel. Dr.’s that tell men to go on 5 grams of gel and come back in 8 to 12 weeks for labs don’t know much about the use of gels. Dr.’s that treat a lot of men for low T on gels see this happen and test them again in 2 weeks.
    When you go to do labs get up and shower that morning go do your labs and then put in the gel after your blood test so you don’t spike up your labs. If you can’t do labs in the morning shower put on the gel but don’t get any gel on the spot they take the blood from. Do your labs about 6 hrs later.

Call your Dr. and tell him this and that your not feeling good you were but fell back.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top