• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Has anyone had experiences using Lithium for Unipolar depression?

wapf fan

I’m on Lithium because my mood wasn’t stable. Some days I felt good others terrible but never did I feel great. I don’t know what unipolar is.

Hi, Unipolar is just a term relating to just depression without a manic component. I guess someone could be unipolar with just mania and no depression attached. My Dr wants me to try a small dose of Lithium 300mgs. How has it worked for you? Any side effects like the SSRI’S?

wapf fan

Well I started the Lithium with 2 other meds so hard to say which one is working best or if they all are doing a good job. All I know is after starting those 3 meds after 3 months I feel great as far as depression and energy. But I have also gained 5 pounds. I have no idea which one did it to me as 2 of them are know to do that including Lithium. So this is probably not too helpful to you. Sorry.

Its always helpful to hear that something is working. Sometimes lithium and some other psyche meds can mess with thyroid function which can cause weight gain. Once in a while if you can get your thyroid levels checked.

wapf fan

That is a good point. I will have them checked! I can’t stand gaining 5 pounds after I was so happy about losing 10!

bridger

@Downthelanetheycome 2746 wrote:

Its always helpful to hear that something is working. Sometimes lithium and some other psyche meds can mess with thyroid function which can cause weight gain. Once in a while if you can get your thyroid levels checked.

I have been on lithium for over 3 years for bipolar. In that time I haven’t had any major ups or downs and have been through major life changes in that time too. It has worked very well for me. However, within a couple months of starting it I had to start taking levothyroxine since my TSH went doubled from 4 to 8 in just a month. I also started TRT about the same time. I’ve had some hair thinning, flush or redness to my face i didn’t have before. I take an extended release version, 625mg twice per day.

Houston1970

I’m on 1200 mg of Lithium and have retained 10 pounds of fluid. I drink at least 140 oz of water daily it’s actually quite funny. Does anybody know how to retain less fluid on this salt.

@Houston1970 4971 wrote:

I’m on 1200 mg of Lithium and have retained 10 pounds of fluid. I drink at least 140 oz of water daily it’s actually quite funny. Does anybody know how to retain less fluid on this salt.

I have other clients who have same issue, my concern is the increase in blood pressure. You may want have Dr looked at thyroid levels as lithium can deplete them as well as inositol and iodine. I would do full thyroid panel (ft3,ft4,tpo, rt3, tgab, ferritin, total T4) along with urinary iodine 24 hour from ZRT. You should find your answer there. Lithium can also cause alteratin in Na/K transport pathways. Isolate why this is happening then if no explanation they might want to look into a diuretic. If you have good insurance may want to ck into spectra cell for nutritional deficiency which may cause water retention. Hope this helps..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top