• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    j-man1

Dr. M,

What are other options to raise things like Ferrittin, Total Iron, hematocrit, hemoglobin, and RBC count in individuals not responding to increased red meat and iron supplementation? Provided no internal bleeding or working on stopping it? Thanks.

DrMariano2
    Participant

Iron is best raised by consumption of liver, intestines, or blood foods such as English blood sausage, blood pie, Spanish/Roman blood stew. These provide a biologically available animal form of iron that mineral iron or vegetables do not adequately provide.

Lean cuts of meat generally do not provide adequate iron. Rib-eye steaks are better when it comes to red meats compared to lean cuts like tri-tips.

compaq

@DrMariano 6719 wrote:

Iron is best raised by consumption of liver, intestines, or blood foods such as English blood sausage, blood pie, Spanish/Roman blood stew. These provide a biologically available animal form of iron that mineral iron or vegetables do not adequately provide.

Lean cuts of meat generally do not provide adequate iron. Rib-eye steaks are better when it comes to red meats compared to lean cuts like tri-tips.

Going along with this, Dr Mariano, how long would one expect it to take to raise their ferritin to 100 from 50? (I believe you recommend a range of roughly 100-120 ideal, but I think I’ve also seen you mention 100-150.)

Not only that, but how often do your patients successfully bring their ferritin into your desired range without supplements? Frankly, it seems like most people would not be able to eat liver, intestines; and while I may love to eat rib eyes several times per week I could probably not find the time to cook it consistently, let alone afford it! 🙂 I mean, I guess what I’m asking is how hard or easy is it to raise ferritin using the real food approach.

Thanks for helping.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top