Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS GENERAL HEALTH I think I have problems from statin drugs.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pmgamer18

I have had this problem now for some time was thinking it’s the statin drugs I was put on after my Heart Bypass surgery. I have been on them all each one gave me joint and muscle pain. I would tell the Heart Dr. he would switch it now I can’t stand for very long and walk my legs hurt going from my hips down the front and sides of my upper legs.

The other day I yawned and got cramps in my arm muscles bad. My last set of labs showed me to be Dehydrated my Urea Nitrogen (BUN) labs are high 26 and I drank 54 oz of water with Sea Salt in it before my labs.

I seen my Heart Dr. yesterday after having a stress and ultrasound on my heart all is great. I asked my Heart Dr. if these statins he had me on did damage to my joints and muscles he says no. And told me my potassium was down from other labs but still in range.

Anyone ever here of leg pain from low potassium and if so how long on potassium did it take for the pain to stop.

I am getting dam worried about this on one the Heart Dr.’s keep telling me to walk and get exercise on the other hand they put men on statins that cause pain so I can’t.

I have low aldosterone levels and need to be on Florinef after my Heart surgery they took me off this and put me on a low sodium diet. I have to fight for months feeling like crap to get off this diet and back on Florinef.

In the last 2 days I now need a walker to stand or walk.

The Heart Dr. told me to get some COQ10 I have been on this now 3 days and yesterday I got some Now Foods Lecithin, 400 Softgels/1200mg.

I have been off statin durgs now 7 weeks I pray this works.
    After reading this link I feel this is whats wrong with me.
    http://www.spacedoc.net/muscle_pain_statins.htm

Anyone know how long it takes for COQ10 to start working.

I am not sure about this I do have 2 small bad disks in my lower back that I hurt some 6 months ago moving something. But this pain has been gone for some time now.

I just can’t win here it’s one thing after the other non stop.

pmgamer18

Good news this morning I am a little better called both my Heart and Family Dr. they said to give it more time my labs last March on CoQ10 were below normal. Then the next 3 labs that were done Quest did not do the CoQ10 test said the blood was not sent right. So my levels have been below normal for a long time.

This morning I could get up easy and stand without holding on to something. I still need the walker to walk but I don’t feel the panic that I am not going to make it back to my chair without falling down. I even walked to my waker coming out of the bathroom to my walker without holding on to something. In the last 4 days I could not do this.

I am better so the Dr.’s said to give it more time if it stops getting better they are going to put me in the Hosp.

I hope this keeps getting better.

I found out today your not to stop statin drugs cold and this might be why I am having a problem.
    =====================================
    Stopping Statins
    Statins are a potent anti-inflammatory drug. The fact that statins also lower cholesterol is “irrelevant”. If you are experiencing severe side effects from a statin drug you may need to stop abruptly, but it is highly recommended that you taper off over a 3 week period.

Cut pills in 1/2
    Wk 1: take that 1/2 pill every day
    Wk 2: take that 1/2 pill every other day
    Wk 3: take that 1/2 pill every 3rd day

DrMariano2
    Participant

Co-Q10 usually works quickly – particularly if one has a deficit.

Statins are well known for depleting Co-Q10 levels.

This may be one underlying factor in causing muscle breakdown. Excessive muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis) can cause kidney failure and death.

Cholesterol is an important component of the cell membrane – giving it stiffness. Reducing cholesterol excessively may lead to a reduction in cell membrane stiffness and strength. This may increase the risk of cell damage and death particularly for muscle cells which are subjected to forces during movement.

One way to monitor for muscle cell breakdown is to measure myoglobin. This is similar to hemoglobin. It stores oxygen temporarily in muscles for use in generating energy. When muscle cells break down, myoglobin increases. Myoglobin in high levels is toxic to the kidneys.

As a psychiatrist, I prefer measures to reduce cholesterol as naturally as possible so that one can minimize statin use. By interfering with cholesterol production, statins can impair brain function – causing memory problems, mood problems, and even frank confusion. Cholesterol is the signal from astrocytes that tell neurons where to make new connections (synapses). Cholesterol is a hormone/neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. It is necessary to form memory. Cholesterol makes up half of the dry weight of the brain.

pmgamer18

Thanks for the reply Dr. M I will get this Myoglobin tested and I hear I should also test CK and CPK levels.

I am doing better as each day goes by today I was able to get up with out pulling my self up using my arms. I walked around with out using the walker for a shot time but the pain is still there.

pmgamer18

Things are getting better taking CoQ10 evern my hands are not numb anymore. I am able to walk a short time without using a walker.

pmgamer18

Just an up date the Statin Drugs have crippled me I am in a lot of pain when I stand up and walk. And I need a walker to walk yet I can’t walk very long or I suffer in pain.

When I am sitting or laying down I don’t have pain as long as I don’t over do it walking.

I just had my heart checked it’s been 4 yrs I had heart bypass surgery. The Heart Dr. told me it’s a miracle my heart has recovered 100% and I could live 30 more yrs. I am 68.

I know know I will not get better from the Statin Drug damage to my muscles. But I have set my mind to learning to live with this and take each day that comes to me as a blessing.

Still my Myoglobin and CK or CPK levels are still very high.

And I can’t take Pain meds I have problems with high Estraidol levels and the pain meds slow down the AI meds I take to keep Estraidol levels down. I was needing 4 pills of Arimidex / day then switched to Aromasin and this ended up the same needed up to 4 pills / day to keep my Estraidol levels down. High Estraidol levels give me Panic Attacks.

It is the CYP3A4 levels in my liver from pain meds that dose this so I don’t take pain meds.

pmgamer18

I learn about my problems from my muscle damage from having been on Statin Drugs. In the last 3 yrs my SHBG is very low 22. On my last blood test 3 weeks ago it was at 15 after reading some old posts by Dr. M I now know why my SHBG is so low.
    =====================================
    Low SHBG also occurs in inflammatory diseases (such as rheumatoid arthritis, etc.) – where Interleukin 1 beta reduces SHBG production. I generally assess for the presence of immune system problems since they are often at the root of mood disorders.

So due to such low levels of SHBG I need to treat my TRT by doing shots E3D to keep my levels up. I am also finding low SHBG makes the body make more Estradiol E2.

It’s all just on going and it helps to under stand why.

pmgamer18

Thank you Definitiver Mind for the Birthday Email.
    Today I am 69 yrs. old Thank you GOD for one more year.

wondering

@pmgamer18 6832 wrote:

Thank you Definitive Mind for the Birthday Email.
    Today I am 69 yrs. old Thank you GOD for one more year.

Happy Birthday Phil!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top