Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS SIGNALS Hydrocortisone causes sharp drop in serotonin levels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    celent778

Hello,

Last year I took Hydrocortisone at 5mg, three times per day. After about a month, it caused a sharp drop in serotonin levels and I developed symptoms of low serotonin such as OCD. I stopped the Hydrocortisone and took 5HTP, 100mg, 5 times per day and after 4 days the symptoms disappeared. I tried Hydrocortisone again recently at 5mg twice per day but after a month again I got low serotonin symptom which were resolved by taking a high dose of 5HTP for 4 days.

Does anyone know why Hydrocortisone does this to my serotonin levels? I wonder if others notice a drop in their serotonin levels when taking Hydrocortisone?

My serotonin levels also dropped sharply last year when I used a high dose of Progesterone cream for two weeks.

I have adrenal fatigue aka Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis dysregulation. My 8:00 AM cortisol saliva test showed a mid-range result (I read that people with healthy adrenal glands have mid-range cortisol at 4:00 PM). I understand that in people with healthy adrenal glands their 8:00 AM Cortisol is at the top of the reference range.

Thank you.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top