Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS WOMEN’S HEALTH Hair loss and hormones

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

When a women is experiencing excessive hair loss when iron is not helping could this be hormonally related as to thyroid and progesterone. In a women just how important is the proper progesterone and estrodial balance for proper thyroid functioning at the receptor. If the balance is very skewed to more estradial would this result in a hypo functioning thyroid at the tissue level even though all parameters of thyroid are in healthy levels? What are some of physiological and psychological effects have you notice clinicially in women that have estrodial tends to dominate progesterone despite normal thyroid function. I have read a lot of information on the internet, but I prefer to hear from a clinical stand point.

clinical case
    Female 32
    asthmatic
    Nutrition is balanced
    lack of exercise due to demanding work schedule
    High stress demand (slighly elevated cortisol on saliva test)

Symptoms
    Excessive hair loss in clumps, weight gain, emotional out burst during period, mental confusion, dry skin, forgetfulness, premature agiing, PMS symptoms that require percocet to counter act the pain, high anxiety.

Started on progesterone due to estradiol imbalance for 7 months, but could not continue therapy due to financial reasons. Since stopping the progesterone for 2 month all of the symptoms return worse then before. What kind of hormonal havoc could abruptly stopping the progesterone due to a female? Would this be similar to stopping testosterone cold turkey in a male?

DrMariano2
    Participant

@hardasnails1973 247 wrote:

When a women is experiencing excessive hair loss when iron is not helping could this be hormonally related as to thyroid and progesterone. In a women just how important is the proper progesterone and estrodial balance for proper thyroid functioning at the receptor. If the balance is very skewed to more estradial would this result in a hypo functioning thyroid at the tissue level even though all parameters of thyroid are in healthy levels? What are some of physiological and psychological effects have you notice clinicially in women that have estrodial tends to dominate progesterone despite normal thyroid function. I have read a lot of information on the internet, but I prefer to hear from a clinical stand point.

clinical case
    Female 32
    asthmatic
    Nutrition is balanced
    lack of exercise due to demanding work schedule
    High stress demand (slighly elevated cortisol on saliva test)

Symptoms
    Excessive hair loss in clumps, weight gain, emotional out burst during period, mental confusion, dry skin, forgetfulness, premature agiing, PMS symptoms that require percocet to counter act the pain, high anxiety.

Started on progesterone due to estradiol imbalance for 7 months, but could not continue therapy due to financial reasons. Since stopping the progesterone for 2 month all of the symptoms return worse then before. What kind of hormonal havoc could abruptly stopping the progesterone due to a female? Would this be similar to stopping testosterone cold turkey in a male?

I currently have only a short time to reply. The subject is deeper, of course.

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder occurs when there is dysfunction in three circuits: thyroid, nervous system, adrenals. The dysfunction is exacerbated by the higher levels of estradiol during the luteal phase of the menstrual period. Estrogen levels do not need to be excessively high for this to occur. But the loss of adrenal cortex produced progesterone allows estrogen to excessively thicken the endometrium, resulting in cramps and heavy flow, as well as contribute to mood destabilization.

Progesterone, in women, is a good option to cortisol, in supporting adrenal cortex function.

Emotional instability indicates excessive norepinephrine signaling/stress signaling with inadequate anti-stress response from the rest of the system (nervous system, endocrine system, immune system, etc.)

Progesterone increase estrogen receptors. The loss of progesterone causes a reduction in sensitivity to estrogen – a functional loss of estrogen signaling.

Excessive estrogen can destabilize mood, increasing stress – through direct effects on the nervous system, by affecting thyroid hormone signaling, by increasing immune system activation, etc.

Common causes of hair-loss in women include:

• loss of estrogen (estrogen prolongs the growth phase of hair)
    • low thyroid (excessive thyroid can also cause hair loss).
    • loss of zinc (from stress-induced insulin resstance, causing clumps of hair to be lost).
    • suboptimal iron (e.g. iron deficiency)
    • suboptimal Biotin
    • suboptimal Linoleic acid (omega-6)
    • suboptimal Lysine

Over-the-counter 2% Progesterone skin cream is an option for many women.

JanSz

[name brand and link removed, replaced with:] Progesterone is available in a pump delivery system

Each full press of the pump provides approximately 20 mg of natural Progesterone USP.
    This Progesterone cream is formulated to contain 480 mg per ounce

@reiidlynch 3818 wrote:

Body structure and all doings that depends on hormones. Hair loss is one of them which need support of hormones. Hair loss is the reason of changes hormones level.

Find out they your hormones are out of balance which may due to the imbalances with in the adrenal and immune systems. I find that HRT can be avoided if you address the inflammation and immune system which will reduce the need for cortisol to be pumped out at high rate. The cortisol at high rates will deplete the progesterone levels due to its survival mechanism is to be converted to cortisol. Reducing the inflammation at the source of the problem will preserve the progesterone and reduce the stress on the adrenal glands. Since working with Dr’s we have not used HC in over 2 years and the number of people getting well even increased from when we where using it. HC IMO is tempary stop gap for issue which are at the deeper level which need to be investigated. I was on HC for 3 years, I looked at all these metabolic stressors identified each one of them, corrected them. When all the lights where green, i cold turkey cortef and have never looked back since. Being on HC for me was more psychological addicting because of all the horror stories people drilled into your head on line. If you did not take it you would die, Well if you did not identify the sources of the stress and remove them then this may apply. It took me 4-5 months of using my wealth of knowledge to be able get off of it as I have helped many others do the same..

sanfrancisco

It is true that hair loss and hormones are interconnected.Our hormones of the body play a major role for hair growth and hair loss.Three main hormones that are responsible for hair loss and hair growth are (1)Thyroid,(2)Estrogen and (3) Testosterone……….

Jules

i would add cortisol to that, indirectly but still definitely affects hairloss. probably as optimal cortisol level is required for thyroid hormone to work effectively?

i am hypocortisol and when i started taking cortef my hair suddenly grew in thick and i had all this new babyhair too. and when i started weaning slowly from cortef i lost like half my head of hair in the period of about 6 weeks. sucks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top