Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS SIGNALS Disppointing thyroid results

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I have been on 2 grains of west thyroid and 25 mcg t-3. I just got partial test results back

REcent
    100 mgs of iron (50 mgs BID) 4 hours away from thyroid
    Total t4 was 3.6 4.5-12.0
    total t3 was 99 (85-205)
    ft4 .88 (.61- 1.76)
    ft3 2.9 (2.3-4.2)
    ferritin 51 (22-322)

100 mgs of iron (4 hours away from thyroid) 50 mgs BID
    8 weeks prior
    total t4 6.5
    total t3 161
    ft3 3.5
    ft4 .81
    ferritin 41

3 weeks prior heavy rectal bleeding test.

Its not getting absorbed could it because I am lactose intolerant, Well waiting on results from celiac results, other results should be trickling in at end of the day

This explains why my muscle has been spasming like crazy, hair falling out and no motivation, wanting to sleep all day, constipation unresolved, no appetite. extreme muscle weakness. I’m tired of all this crap because armour changed their formula. I can not now take westthyroid or armour thyroid. I guess I have to go on just plain t-3 and t-4 with no binders. If I have celiac this could explain alot since west thyroid does contain lactose and gluten binders.

What is the conversion of 2 grains of armour and 25 mcgs t-3 into just t-4 and t-3 taken separately

DrMariano2
    Participant

@hardasnails1973 944 wrote:

I have been on 2 grains of west thyroid and 25 mcg t-3. I just got partial test results back

REcent
    100 mgs of iron (50 mgs BID) 4 hours away from thyroid
    Total t4 was 3.6 4.5-12.0
    total t3 was 99 (85-205)
    ft4 .88 (.61- 1.76)
    ft3 2.9 (2.3-4.2)
    ferritin 51 (22-322)

100 mgs of iron (4 hours away from thyroid) 50 mgs BID
    8 weeks prior
    total t4 6.5
    total t3 161
    ft3 3.5
    ft4 .81
    ferritin 41

3 weeks prior heavy rectal bleeding test.

Its not getting absorbed could it because I am lactose intolerant, Well waiting on results from celiac results, other results should be trickling in at end of the day

This explains why my muscle has been spasming like crazy, hair falling out and no motivation, wanting to sleep all day, constipation unresolved, no appetite. extreme muscle weakness. I’m tired of all this crap because armour changed their formula. I can not now take westthyroid or armour thyroid. I guess I have to go on just plain t-3 and t-4 with no binders. If I have celiac this could explain alot since west thyroid does contain lactose and gluten binders.

What is the conversion of 2 grains of armour and 25 mcgs t-3 into just t-4 and t-3 taken separately

The definition of “grain” varies. 1 grain is somewhere between 60 to 65 mg of Desiccated Thyroid.

Westhroid (an Armour Thyroid equivalent) comes in 65 mg tablets which contain 38 mcg of T4 and 9 mcg of T3. The total is generally equivalent to about 100 mcg of T4, though I find it is close to 125 to 150 mcg of T4, in clinical use.

In cases of problematic variable absorption or variable blood levels, one option is to:

1. Treat with Levothyroxine first, to achieve a target T4 of at least 8. This provides the foundation in treatment.
    2. Then add Armour Thyroid (or equivalent Dessicated Thyroid) or T3 (Liothyronine, Cytomel) until the Free T3 level is between 3.3 to 4.2 in adults.

With problems in iron absorption, the easiest solution is to use heme iron – such as in the stew recipe I provided in another post. The other solution is to increase Ferrous Sulfate or Ferrous Gluconate dose further.

@DrMariano 969 wrote:

The definition of “grain” varies. 1 grain is somewhere between 60 to 65 mg of Desiccated Thyroid.

Westhroid (an Armour Thyroid equivalent) comes in 65 mg tablets which contain 38 mcg of T4 and 9 mcg of T3. The total is generally equivalent to about 100 mcg of T4, though I find it is close to 125 to 150 mcg of T4, in clinical use.

In cases of problematic variable absorption or variable blood levels, one option is to:

1. Treat with Levothyroxine first, to achieve a target T4 of at least 8. This provides the foundation in treatment.
    2. Then add Armour Thyroid (or equivalent Dessicated Thyroid) or T3 (Liothyronine, Cytomel) until the Free T3 level is between 3.3 to 4.2 in adults.

With problems in iron absorption, the easiest solution is to use heme iron – such as in the stew recipe I provided in another post. The other solution is to increase Ferrous Sulfate or Ferrous Gluconate dose further.

If one thyroid levels are low would not this prevent the iron from being absorbed?. If the iron is not being absorb due to low thyroid could this cause the iron to be bound up in the intestinal tract effecting the body’s ability to uptake other minerals as well (copper, zinc, manganese). If one has celiac would one has to use a higher dosage of thyroid to get a clinical response because of the lack of proper absorption

gu3vara

@DrMariano 969 wrote:

Perhaps a good solution would then be to take Proferrin which is heme iron in supplement form, you only need 11 mg elemental iron to absorb more than ferrous gluconate 100 mg elemental iron. It should be easier on the intestine.

I heard it’s a good product and I’m thinking of using it. It’s lactose and gluten free.

DrMariano2
    Participant

@gu3vara 981 wrote:

Perhaps a good solution would then be to take Proferrin which is heme iron in supplement form, you only need 11 mg elemental iron to absorb more than ferrous gluconate 100 mg elemental iron. It should be easier on the intestine.

I heard it’s a good product and I’m thinking of using it. It’s lactose and gluten free.

That’s a great idea.

Thanks for informing us about Proferrin.

Here is a link: http://www.drugs.com/mtm/proferrin-es.html

It’s pricey – close to $1 a tablet. But if it works better for some people than ferrous sulfate ferrous gluconate, etc., then it would be worth it to regain health.

With iron treatment, one only needs to reach the target ferritin level with the treatment. After the target is reached, a much lower maintenance dose is needed using either the treatment iron or iron from a multivitamin or iron from an improved diet.

bigpappab

What about liver tablets? Beverly International makes dessicated liver tablets. Good source of iron & protein. I think we pay $36 for 500
    http://www.beverlyinternational.net/productpdfs/Ultra_40.pdf

I have them sitting right here and I was thinking about using them myself since they have alot of other benefits as well.

DrMariano2
    Participant

@hardasnails1973 1053 wrote:

I have them sitting right here and I was thinking about using them myself since they have alot of other benefits as well.

It is funny how liver went out of style as a staple in the American diet. When I grew up, liver was commonly served. Yum.

A lot of healthy things have gradually gone out of style as diets have become more modernized and become more “politically correct”.

@DrMariano 1065 wrote:

It is funny how liver went out of style as a staple in the American diet. When I grew up, liver was commonly served. Yum.

A lot of healthy things have gradually gone out of style as diets have become more modernized and become more “politically correct”.

Yumm yumm. I grew up on liver with sauteed onions in a black cast iron pan. I would eat it again but with my copper issue going on and finding out that low epinephrine can cause low ceruloplasmin I am hesitant with any copper based foods till this issue is ruled out.

To rule out insulin resistance that may be hidden would a glucose with insulin tolerance test 3 hours with 75 grams sugar would be most appropriate test.

I had this done 3 years ago
    resting 80 glucose
    1 hour 160
    2 hours 60
    3 hours 44

I could imagine how much insulin I was producing to get those numbers
    Also I have all the opposite makers for insulin resistance, but more so insulin hypersensitivity.

Blood test – have all the opposite markers
    Insulin fasting was <2 on serum
    Ha1c 4.9
    Glucose 85
    total cholesterol 140

Could my issue be a functionality vs resting insulin issue that is why is not being discovered all this time.

Also given the fact my e2 is <3 (3-70), thyroid is suboptimal could be primary cause.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top