Home Forums DISCUSSION FORUMS PSYCHIATRY, NEUROENDOCRINOLOGY, PSYCHOIMMUNOLOGY Depression+Anxiety Medications Affect Hormones?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    castrated

35 year old male

I have a longer story but to keep it short and get to the point on one of my most serious questions….if I have been on two years of depression and anxiety medications, along with on and off pain killers, anti-biotics, and GI medications, could they contribute to extreme fatigue, immune system issues, and lower testosterone?

Wellbutrin 150mg Daily (was 300mg)
    Pristiq 25mg Daily (only been on this 6 months while the others a few years)
    Ativan 1mg-2mg Daily
    Buspare 10mg-20mg Daily
    Lunesta 3mg at Bedtime

Over the past few years I have had soft tissue problems (including a bicep detachment), reoccuring illness (flu like/food poisoning feeling like symptoms), extreme fatigue, mental fog, loss of optimal cognitive function, sleep issues, major aches and pains, extreme bodyfat gain in the abdominal region, bodyfat percentage has tripled from 10% to 30% again with most all of it in the belly. Tremendous loss of muscle mass.

Various labs in the past few years have shown low testosterone levels (low 300s), low cortisol in the morning and afternoon, high immune markers, and other imbalances with many nuerotransmitters.

I want to get off the anxiety/depression medications as soon as possible, do not like being on them and feel they might be contributing to some of my physical issues.

Have been offered HRT by a few doctors, including T Cyp, GH, T3, HCG.

I would like to get off the medications, use HRT if needed, and drop at least 20% bodyfat and 30-40 pounds of bodyweight. Want my cognitive function to recover so I can move on in a career, at this point it is daily survival just to remember the simplest of things.

Any and all advice much appreciated. FYI no prior psych history before the past few years, no prior drug use of any kind, recreational or performance enhancing, do not have baseline hormonal levels but my entire life hovered at 10% bodyfat and was a highly successful athlete with above average genetics to say the least. Now its as if I have the mental fog and body aches and pains of a senior citizen, all within a period of 2-3 years.

wondering

Post all your labs if you have them. Low levels of ANY of the Adrenals, Thyroid hormones or Testosterone could result in anxiety and/or depression. Low levels of more than one make it almost a certainty.

Yes – getting them staightened out will almost certainly provide you with relief.

@castrated 2058 wrote:

35 year old male

I have a longer story but to keep it short and get to the point on one of my most serious questions….if I have been on two years of depression and anxiety medications, along with on and off pain killers, anti-biotics, and GI medications, could they contribute to extreme fatigue, immune system issues, and lower testosterone?

Wellbutrin 150mg Daily (was 300mg)
    Pristiq 25mg Daily (only been on this 6 months while the others a few years)
    Ativan 1mg-2mg Daily
    Buspare 10mg-20mg Daily
    Lunesta 3mg at Bedtime

Over the past few years I have had soft tissue problems (including a bicep detachment), reoccuring illness (flu like/food poisoning feeling like symptoms), extreme fatigue, mental fog, loss of optimal cognitive function, sleep issues, major aches and pains, extreme bodyfat gain in the abdominal region, bodyfat percentage has tripled from 10% to 30% again with most all of it in the belly. Tremendous loss of muscle mass.

Various labs in the past few years have shown low testosterone levels (low 300s), low cortisol in the morning and afternoon, high immune markers, and other imbalances with many nuerotransmitters.

I want to get off the anxiety/depression medications as soon as possible, do not like being on them and feel they might be contributing to some of my physical issues.

Have been offered HRT by a few doctors, including T Cyp, GH, T3, HCG.

I would like to get off the medications, use HRT if needed, and drop at least 20% bodyfat and 30-40 pounds of bodyweight. Want my cognitive function to recover so I can move on in a career, at this point it is daily survival just to remember the simplest of things.

Any and all advice much appreciated. FYI no prior psych history before the past few years, no prior drug use of any kind, recreational or performance enhancing, do not have baseline hormonal levels but my entire life hovered at 10% bodyfat and was a highly successful athlete with above average genetics to say the least. Now its as if I have the mental fog and body aches and pains of a senior citizen, all within a period of 2-3 years.

castrated

Hi,
    It will take some time to post my labs as I have 5 pages of blood results for all kinds of things, and also 3 pages of saliva/urine results from a nueroscience test. Any particulars that would be helpful so I dont type out a bunch of stuff that isnt useful for you?
    THanks

wondering

Testosterone
    T4 or Free T4
    T3 or Free T3
    TSH
    Cortisol
    DHEA
    Estradiol (E2)
    SHBG
    Ferritin
    Vitamin B12
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin D
    Insulin (fasting)
    Glucose (fasting)

These would be very helpful.

@castrated 2062 wrote:

Hi,
    It will take some time to post my labs as I have 5 pages of blood results for all kinds of things, and also 3 pages of saliva/urine results from a nueroscience test. Any particulars that would be helpful so I dont type out a bunch of stuff that isnt useful for you?
    THanks

castrated

Fasting Blood Labs:
    Testosterone
    TT 313
    % Free 2.17
    Testosterone Free 68.0

T4 Free 1.1 ng/dL

T3 Free 325 pg/dL

TSH 1.53 mIU/L

Cortisol 8.4 mcg/dL

DHEA 591 mcg/dL

Estradiol (E2) <20.0 (although Ive read the test I took is inaccurate for this?) Neither doctor was going to test for this I had to ask, then the report I got back mostly has ranges for women

SHBG Neither of the doctors tested this?

Ferritin 429 ng/mL

Vitamin B12 388 pg/mL

Vitamin A

Vitamin D 22 ng/mL

Insulin (fasting)

Glucose (fasting) 90 mg/dL

IGF-1 156 ng/mL

NueroScience Saliva/Urine Results:
    Cortisol
    8am 5.0 ng/mL
    Noon 2.2 ng/mL
    6pm 3.4 ng/mL
    11pm 1.5 ng/mL

DHEA 618.3 pg/mL

Epinephrine 4.8 ug/gCR (says low, range should be 8-11 day, 3-6 night)
    Norepinephrine 27.6 (says low, should be morning 35-45 night 15-25)
    Dopamine 270.3 (says elevated, ranges should be day 125-175 night 80-120)
    DOPAC 584.3 (says low, range should be 900-1250 and 600-900)
    Serotonin 125.7 says optimal, although the blood level Serontonin was so low didnt register
    5-HIAA 1,541.2 (says low, should be 2500-5000)
    Glycine 1,044.7 says optimal
    Taurine 66.7 (says low should be 150-550 and 100-250)
    GABA 2.6 says Optimal
    Glutamate 21.1 says optimal
    PEA 75.8 (says elevated should be 30-70 and 21-50)
    Histamine 25.3 (says elevated should be 10-20 and 5-15)
    Creatinine 151.1 (in range)

wondering

Ranges would be helpful…but…

1. T4 looks on the low side. (I would expect poor energy and some anxiety from this)

2. Cortisol is very low, especially if that blood draw was a morning one. (I would expect anxiety from this for sure)

DO NOT TAKE Thyroid hormone unless your Adrenals are supported…meaning getting on Cortef (HC) for a few weeks before even beginning to try Armour. Normal starting dose is 10mg, but you may need to go higher. I needed 25mg. in divided doses thruout the day.

3. Testosterone looks low.

4. Ferritin on the high side? check ranges, may want to donate some blood.

5. Vitamin D3 is low. I would get yourself 5000iu capsules and take with a meal. But find a Dr. who will test you in a few months and adjust from there.

On the bright side, you should feel better that these numbers show that you have a huge opportunity to feel much better if you find the right care. Where are you located?Anywhere near Michigan or upper California?

@castrated 2071 wrote:

Fasting Blood Labs:
    Testosterone
    TT 313
    % Free 2.17
    Testosterone Free 68.0

T4 Free 1.1 ng/dL

T3 Free 325 pg/dL

TSH 1.53 mIU/L

Cortisol 8.4 mcg/dL

DHEA 591 mcg/dL

Estradiol (E2) <20.0 (although Ive read the test I took is inaccurate for this?) Neither doctor was going to test for this I had to ask, then the report I got back mostly has ranges for women

Ferritin 429 ng/mL

Vitamin B12 388 pg/mL

Vitamin A

Vitamin D 22 ng/mL

Insulin (fasting)

IGF-1 156 ng/mL

Cortisol
    8am 5.0 ng/mL
    Noon 2.2 ng/mL
    6pm 3.4 ng/mL
    11pm 1.5 ng/mL

DHEA 618.3 pg/mL

Serotonin 125.7 says optimal, although the blood level Serontonin was so low didnt register
    GABA 2.6 says Optimal

Geno

@castrated 2071 wrote:

Fasting Blood Labs:
    Testosterone
    TT 313
    % Free 2.17
    Testosterone Free 68.0

T4 Free 1.1 ng/dL

T3 Free 325 pg/dL

TSH 1.53 mIU/L

Cortisol 8.4 mcg/dL

DHEA 591 mcg/dL

Ferritin 429 ng/mL

Vitamin B12 388 pg/mL

Vitamin A

Vitamin D 22 ng/mL

Insulin (fasting)

IGF-1 156 ng/mL

Cortisol
    8am 5.0 ng/mL
    Noon 2.2 ng/mL
    6pm 3.4 ng/mL
    11pm 1.5 ng/mL

DHEA 618.3 pg/mL

GABA 2.6 says Optimal

You are on the right website if you are seriously wanting to learn and hopefully get help for your conditions. I know yours and many other members concerns and desires to want and find the proper medical help for what medical symptoms you have. I consider myself ” A perfect example” of many of the major negative health symtoms alot of us have on this site, you know…. Low Testosterone, Fatigue, Sleep problems, Brain Fog, Thyroid, Adrenal problems, etc. etc…. After many years of searching for answers by studying everything I could possibly view and read about my health problems, I became Obsessed with finding proper medical treatment. Although I am disabled, unemployed, 46 yrs old, US Army Veteran and just a normal “Good Guy” just like alot of you out there, who, like me, somehow came down with alot of similar medical conditions (Which are Terrible to try to live with) I scraped up every penny I could find to go see Dr. M. Although we are all “individuals” and treatments are different for each of us (some are very similar) we are not allowed to discuss on this site “Specific” treatments that Dr. M provides etc….. Those are the rules. But I can say this, I made my appointment with Dr. M, I did some more labwork, I also did alot of my own homework (so as to better understand and to help and participate with Dr. M in a proper treatment plan for “My conditions” Let me just say this, I am sooooooo very hopeful and confident in Dr. M and his Medical Genious Talent, that simply after just meeting the Doc and having him now as my Treating Physician, I felt better than I had felt in years, after leaving his office. He put me on a treatment plan, he prescribed me X, Y, and Z etc… etc…. and I am now on my path to a brighter future regarding my health matters. !!! Like the Nike commercial says, “Just Do it” and try to set up an appointment. I forsee someday, more likely sooner than later, that his office just may get too booked with patients, that if you don’t establish a Doctor/Patient relationship, it may be harder to get the “Privelege” to become one of his patients. I am glad I made the effort to go see him, man I will tell you, I was reallly hurtin’ (not physically as in pain) but in the sense that I could barely function and get out of bed! I wish all that are serious good luck, and at this time this is the only way I can offer any of you out there my help. If you take your health seriously, I highly recommend you go see Dr. M, There, you see! I feel better now just by assuming I can help someone out there who needed motivation to better one’s health and life.

castrated

Thanks for the replies. I cannot tell if the last one is individual or posted to all threads?

Anyways, Im pretty confused, the one doctor I saw out of a high profile HRT/Anti Aging office here in the LA area, put me on T3, not T4…and its been about a month on Test, GH, T3, and HCG, and I still feel like #$$%…to make matters worse I am totally broke, I spent all my money on appointments and treatments since moving to LA, because my workers compensation insurance company was lagging, while I was having bouts of sickness, cramps, spams, etc, again….so I went to a few different holistic/anti aging doctors here, got the HRT, started doing some nutritional IVs (which I liked and they did make me feel good for a few days), but now Im broke…my insurance company is probably not going to pay me back, and I have to find a doctor willing to bill them (private workers compensation insurance company)….but, I know from the past, most of the holistic, functional, integrative type doctors, want nothing to do with workers compensation so I can imagine what Ill face…I already got a list from them and looked up the people on their list, they were OBGYNs and other doctors with NO specialty or services related to my issues….so the battle goes on with BS workers compensation…and I hate to say it, maybe I dont, but as a former police officer, and a veteran, these insurance companies do not give a crap about you or your service…I have combat vet friends who go through hell, the same type of hell I do, to get proper treatment…it seems the doctors on the workers comp lists are the bottom of the barrel….in fact, I ended up on disability because a doctor botched a simple surgery, doing permanent damage, then a few years of other doctors throwing anti biotics, pain meds, GI meds, and everything else at me making me sick as a dog…

castrated

@wondering 2080 wrote:

Ranges would be helpful…but…

1. T4 looks on the low side. (I would expect poor energy and some anxiety from this)

Yes, thats what to my uneducated eye it looked like, but I was put on T3 instead??

2. Cortisol is very low, especially if that blood draw was a morning one. (I would expect anxiety from this for sure)

Yes morning draw…and the saliva results show low cortisol as well…

DO NOT TAKE Thyroid hormone unless your Adrenals are supported…meaning getting on Cortef (HC) for a few weeks before even beginning to try Armour. Normal starting dose is 10mg, but you may need to go higher. I needed 25mg. in divided doses thruout the day.

I am not familiar with Cortef or Armour? I have about 20 supplements for CFS and AF that these two offices gave me, said they were to support my adrenals and cell function…$$$$$ as hell too…

3. Testosterone looks low.

Yea, its gotta be, I imagine from my former lifestyle I was way above the high range of average EASILY….now I pack on bodyfat in the belly no matter what diet or exercise I do…

4. Ferritin on the high side? check ranges, may want to donate some blood.

Yea, its been high the past few years…

5. Vitamin D3 is low. I would get yourself 5000iu capsules and take with a meal. But find a Dr. who will test you in a few months and adjust from there.

On it, doing one 5000iu capsule a morning

On the bright side, you should feel better that these numbers show that you have a huge opportunity to feel much better if you find the right care.

Where are you located?

SoCal, LA

Anywhere near Michigan or upper California?

IGF-1 156 ng/mL

Cortisol
    8am 5.0 ng/mL
    Noon 2.2 ng/mL
    6pm 3.4 ng/mL
    11pm 1.5 ng/mL

DHEA 618.3 pg/mL

GABA 2.6 says Optimal

castrated

Been on HRT for a few months now, and some improvement…but not a great deal…still have such little energy, and still cannot drop bodyfat despite workouts, eating super clean, being on thyroid, growth hormone, testosterone, inj B12, HCG, etc….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top